Friday, January 19, 2007

the wind...


is going to blow the roof off. i guess i still haven't recovered completely from jet lag, since it's 3 am and I feel wide awake. The wind keeps rumbling across the chimney, and a door or something in the hallway is creaking, but I'm already in my sleeping bag and don't feel like checking it out.

I made it out of the house today and walked all over Dublin. Once I get used to the traffic, I think it'll be pretty easy to navigate, and on bicycle, it will take no time at all to get around. I found USIT, the office that is in charge of the work abroad program and made an appt. for orientation on monday. I'm hoping there will be some cool people at orientation that I can befriend. Then I just wandered around Dublin for a while. I sat in St. Stephen's Green and people-watched, and on my way home I found the Iveagh Gardens. It was like a secret garden - walled in so you can't really see it from the street - and completely green and silent on the inside. It's even got a maze. My roommates seemed impressed I found it. They said that people that have lived in Dublin for years don't know it exists. I hung out there for a while and when it started to drizzle, I started for home again. I walked along a canal that's by our house, and saw a bunch of swans, and then stopped at an expensive grocery store to get dinner before finally getting home.

Later, Drucker and I rode bikes to the cheap grocery and bought more food and lots of toilet paper. Drucker insisted on putting all the heavy groceries in his backpack. We weighed the packs when we got home - mine was 7lbs, his was 27lbs! Jeez, with all the wind I can't believe he stayed on his bike.

We had intended on going out tonight, but the wet and the wind changed our minds, so we got takeaway pizza and spent the rest of the evening watching a bad canadian movie and talking about rugby and national vs. privatized health care. Not too bad of a friday night.

No comments: