Friday, November 30, 2007

The 17



In last weeks TimeOut (the weekly entertainment magazine) I read this:

"New project from the ever-provocative former KLF chap, Bill Drummond comprising a choir, open to all and committed to never being recorded, broadcast or even watched by an audience. Instead, the members – who will include you, if you manage to secure a ticket for this event – will perform entirely for their own pleasure."

It's a free event but due to limited space you have to email to get tickets. It turns out space is very limited - only 17 people and it only happens once a week for a limited time.

Anyway, we thought it sounded cool, and something different to do with Stephanie's mom who is hear visiting. Stephanies sent an email requesting tickets, and on Monday afternoon she got a response saying that they had some cancellations so we could attend.

It turned out that it was not so much a choir - but more of an interactive art installation. The artist had written "scores" for a fantasy choir, and is now having people get together to sing them. He did record it so he could play it back for us, but then deleted it.

We had to sing 5 notes for 5 minutes each. It was hard, and I almost busted out laughing on the 1st one. Hearing it played back was interesting. I felt like we were signalling for the mothership. Stephanies's mom described the experience as "different", which I think was a nice way of saying it was weird.

I thought it was great.

2 comments:

sarah said...

i think the best thing about you living in London is all the "weird" things you've gotten to do.

NJRR said...

I have to agree with Sarah about the opportunities you've had to participate in some out-of-the-ordinary activities. This event sounds like it would have been very interesting to be a part of. Why doesn't anything like that happen in normal Norman?