Monday, February 5, 2007

it's my birthday

ugh. 30 years - how did that happen? it doesn't feel much like a b-day other than all the email cards i'm getting. i think my mom asked all of her friends to send cards - very thoughtful, although i'm not even sure who a couple of them are. :) Sarah and I are going to get a cake for ourselves today.

Last week was pretty good. Sarah and I stayed fairly productive. We walked and cycled all over Dublin. We went to the Artifact Museum and learned about Vikings in Ireland, and we went to the Modern Art Museum, which is probably really cool when it's not under restoration and changing exhibits. There were a couple of exhibits still up tho, and the building itself was worth going to see,

On Thursday, we took the DART train to a town south of Dublin called Bray. It's on the coast, and normally you can hike along the cliffs, but the path was closed (due to falling rocks i think). We did take a pilgrimage up a large muddy hill that has a big cross on top. It wa a pretty good hike, and a great view once we got to the top. After Bray we got back on the train and went slightly further south to Greystones. We had some dinner at an organic veggie restauant - I would never have thought of making fruit salad with bananas, califlower and dates, but it was actually pretty tasty - walked down to the beach which wasn't all that impressive, got some coffee to warm back up, and then got back on the train for the hour-long ride back up to Dublin.

On Friday Sarah stayed home and watched movies, while I went to an interview at a temp agency. The woman that interviewed me seemed pretty confident that I would be able to get some work pretty quickly. That night we went to Temple Bar Music Center and saw a couple of pretty good indie/dance bands - Sickboy and Channel One. We met some friends of the band, and hung out backstage for a while, but weren't to impressed. Sarah and I were sober, everyone else was completely wasted - so we didn't last very long.

On Sunday, we went to Evensong at St. Patrick's Cathedral. It was really nice - The choir was made up of men and boys and sang beautifully, and the organ was super loud and at time kind of menacing. I felt like I was in a vampire movie or something. Even the sermon was interesting - the guy talked about spring cleaning - physically and spiritually - and didn't talk about God much, which is where I tend to lose interest. I'm going to try to go occasionally - it's a good place to relax, and listen to the music. After church, we went met Drucko (my roommate) at a pub and watched the last few minutes of Ireland vs. Wales rugby game, and then met up with all the BMXers and went to a video premeire for Attilla BMX - a clothing/bike company that's owned by some friend in England.

No comments: