Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Vacation...all i ever wanted...

Amity came to visit over Memorial Day weekend. She was only in Dublin for a few days, but we managed to cram quite a bit into her vacation.

We walked for miles all over Dublin – it was cool, we found a few places that I hadn’t seen yet, got caught in a hailstorm & visited the Kilmainham Gaol, which was built in 1796 and is an important part of Irish history. Many leaders of Irish rebellions were imprisoned and some executed in the jail. The Gaol hasn’t been used since 1924 but has been restored and has a museum inside, and tours. It was cool to see, and would have been incredibly creepy if we hadn’t of been surrounded by the other 30 people on the tour.

We also took a trip to the west coast of Ireland. We stayed in a cute little B&B in Galway and took a coach tour to The Burren and The Cliffs of Moher. The Burren is a region of County Clare, and is unique because the landscape is made of limestone. It’s about 250 square km of rock – it’s well know for the flora & fauna that grows in the cracks of the limestone, as well has the mega-lithic tombs, portal dolmens, and ring forts. Our tour guide was an odd, ancient, little man named Declan – full of knowledge and very flirty. He loved stopping the bus so we could get out and take photos.

After driving thru the Burren we went to The Cliffs of Moher. It was beautiful, although incredibly windy and lots of tourists.

Galway was a cool city, kind of a bohemian feel to it…although we were unable to find the night life that everyone raves about. Honestly I was pretty content to lie on my bed and watch telly. After sleeping on the floor in Dublin for 4 months, it was luxury.

2 comments:

NJRR said...

Women Who Eat heard about this week-end. Lovely pictures by Amity were shared with her family and mentioned by Carol. This led to a discussion of how our children are zipping about the world, not procreating and living a life that we never imagined when we were their ages. Congratulations on your evolution.
The time sounds delightful. I am so happy for you that it brings tears to my eyes.

Quail said...

Oh Amity. I haven't seen her in like a million years. Nice I am so going to come visit. July I'll get my passport because it will probably take forever to get it back and then once I do I can fly to London for about 600 dollars. Maybe I'll find a better deal. So get ready!